December 04, 2008

Vintage: 1947 June wedding of Janice Swiatoviak & Gerald L'Abbe

A vintage photo grouping of my parents' wedding in June of 1947 in Denver, CO. (click on photo for larger). I was experimenting with papers and may in the future change this layout. For now, I offer it for the family history it gives. This was early color photo film and was quite yellowed. I performed some digital photo restoration which put some life back into the color. I loved the colors my mother chose for her wedding and her bouquet was a work of art, which I present in a side vignette. The photo was taken in the back yard of the bride's parents' home on Bryant Street, in Denver. Flanking the bride (Janice) are her parents Pearl Newhouse Swiatoviak, and Harold (Harley) Swiatoviak. Standing by the groom (Gerry) is his sister and Matron of Honor, Mrs Rowena L'Abbe Plum of Lynn, Massachusetts. Seated in front of Judith is Bridesmaid Roberta (Bobbie) Newhouse, cousin of the bride. Also seated is Bridesmaid, Beth Swiatoviak, sister of the bride. Janice and Gerry were married in the pastor's office of Saint Catherine of Sienna Catholic Church on North Federal in Denver. (Because the bride was yet studying to become a Catholic, the ceremony could not take place in the church proper, but many modernizations would make it easier for the Faithful and converts in the coming 60s with the New Vatican Council.) This was a very happy day for my parents, but the marriage was fated to end in divorce 14 years later. One good thing, is that their five children remain close to this day.

No comments: